Are you planning a home improvement project?
Planting a tree? Building a deck? Excavating a new garden?
Call three working days before you dig!
Why call Diggers Hotline before you dig?
- It's the law! Wisconsin Statute 182.0175 requires all excavators, including homeowners and construction contractors, to contact Diggers Hotline at least three working days before starting the work.
- Safety! Calling Diggers Hotline before every digging job helps prevent harm to you or those around you.
- Power reliability! Damaging underground power lines can cause an electric outage to you and your neighborhood.
- Money! Not calling may cost you financially. The public utilities are marked free of charge, but if a buried cable is damaged without a valid diggers hotline ticket, you will be financially responsible for the damage and could be fined.
How to contact Diggers Hotline?
- Contact Diggers Hotline by calling 811, 800-242-8511 or visiting the Diggers Hotline website.
- Contact Diggers Hotline anytime; the call center is open 24/7, but keep in mind that Monday and Tuesday mornings are the busiest calling times.
- Diggers Hotline requires at least three working days prior to the start of the excavation. As defined by state law, a working day is any day other than Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays.
- Emergency locates are given top priority. Members will respond to emergencies by telephone generally within one hour to state if buried facilities are present and to indicate if and when a field locator will be dispatched. The public facilities within the emergency excavation area will be marked as soon as possible, generally within three hours or prior to the start of the excavation, whichever is later.
After making the call:
- Keep the ticket number you receive from Diggers Hotline; it is your legal proof that you have called Diggers Hotline and complied with the law.
- You have 10 calendar days from your project's start date (which you receive from Diggers Hotline) to begin your work. The markings remain valid if you continue to work on your project without interruptions.
What power lines will be marked?
Keep in mind that Diggers Hotline will NOT locate private facilities. Examples of private facilities include an electric line to your detached garage, shed or yard light, an underground sprinkler system, security system, private sewer or water system and walkway lights connected by underground cables. These are facilities that are owned by you. To have private facilities marked, please contact a locating service provider. A list of Wisconsin locators can be found on the Diggers Hotline website.
Contact Diggers Hotline
One call can protect you from injury and expense: Contact Diggers Hotline three working days before you dig to have public underground utility lines located.Rick Kosloski, rights-of-way manager