Show your Cooperative Spirit and Win a $1,250 Scholarship
54 scholarships! $67,500 awarded to Class of 2020!
For high schools seniors whose parents or guardians are members of Polk-Burnett Electric Co-op. Good for technical school, college or university.
Polk-Burnett is pleased to offer community service scholarships to the sons and daughters of co-op members. Co-op scholarships are unique because they are based on community service, not academic grades, athletic performance or financial need. The program recognizes students who make a difference in the lives of others and demonstrate the cooperative spirit.
Applications and Deadlines
Applications are available online at the beginning of each school year.
Class of 2019: Deadline to apply was January 4, 2019.
Class of 2020: Online application now available. Deadline to apply is January 3, 2020.
Scholarship candidates must:
1. Be a high school senior, graduating this school year.
2. Be the child or legal dependent of a Polk-Burnett Electric Cooperative member. (A member is someone who buys electricity from the co-op; parent/guardian must be named on electric account.)
3. Be continuing their education after high school at an accredited technical school, college or university.
4. Demonstrate community service, according to instructions on scholarship application.
Polk-Burnett appreciates the number of outstanding applications we receive each year, and we wish we could award scholarships to everyone.
All candidates who meet eligibility and community service requirements will be entered into a random drawing in January.
1. Five scholarship winners will be selected in each co-op district (we have nine districts). See co-op district map.
2. Nine additional scholarship winners will be selected in a random drawing of all remaining applicants.
Winners are announced by mail, in the Powerlines newsletter and during award nights at local high schools. Upon proof of enrollment at an accredited school, scholarship winners receive a check toward first-semester expenses. Scholarship checks are payable to the educational institution.
Scholarships Do Not Affect Your Electric Bill
Scholarships are funded with unclaimed Capital Credit dollars that otherwise would be forfeited to the state. Scholarships do not affect electric rates.
Polk-Burnett is owned by its members and guided by a nonprofit, cooperative philosophy. When the cooperative makes money beyond expenses, the difference if refunded to members as Capital Credits. Prior to 1987, Polk-Burnett was required to give unclaimed Capital Credits to the State of Wisconsin. Now, the co-op can use these unclaimed dollars for education, and we are proud to offer scholarship to the children of our members.
For more information, contact:
800-421-0283, ext. 333